The Sax Institute’s Research Action Awards recognise individuals whose research has made a significant impact on health policy, programs or service delivery. Up to three Awards will be granted and each winner will receive a certificate and prize of $5,000.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent assessment committee comprised of international and national experts in public health/health services research, policy and knowledge exchange. Professor Nicholas Mays, Professor of Health Policy at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Director of the Policy Innovation Research Unit will chair the assessment committee.
Applications are open to early career researchers who work for one of the Sax Institute’s Ordinary Member organisations and have up to 15 years’ postdoctoral or equivalent experience. Applications must describe research that has had an impact on health policy, programs or service delivery, and demonstrate evidence of the impact.
Our members are leaders in public health and health services research. If you work for an organisation that is not an Ordinary Member but engages in a relevant research program, why not discuss applying for membership with your centre manager? Details of the eligibility criteria and how to apply for membership can be found on the Sax Institute website.
The Awards presentation
Award winners will be honoured at a ceremony in Sydney on 28 November 2018. The event will be addressed by NSW Health Secretary Elizabeth Koff and National Health and Medical Research Council CEO Professor Anne Kelso. Senior health policy leaders and members of the public health and health service research communities will be invited to attend. The Institute will seek opportunities to publicise the work of the successful applicants by showcasing their achievements to the media.
Closing date for applications
Applications must be received by 5pm on Monday 10 September 2018.
You can download the application documents and instructions here:
- Download the Research Action Award Application Form 2018 (PDF 2 MB)
- Download the Research Action Award Instructions for Applicants 2018 (PDF 497 KB)
- Download the Research Action Award Instructions for completion of the Verification Form (164 KB)
- Download the Research Action Award Verification Form 2018 (1 MB)
- Download the Research Action Awards Call for Applications (97 KB)
Thanks to our sponsors
We would like to acknowledge the NSW Ministry of Health and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia for their generous support of the Research Action Awards.
For all enquiries, please contact the Sax Institute:
Phone: 02 9188 9500
Researchers whose work is having a real impact on the ground in areas as diverse as alcohol-related violence and supporting people to gain driver licences were winners at the 2017 Research Action Awards.
- Professor Kypros Kypri, University of Newcastle
- Ms Patricia Cullen, George Institute for Global Health
Researchers focused on making a real-world impact on vaccine safety, maternal and reproductive health, and strengthening the Medicare system were winners at the 2016 Research Action Awards.
- Associate Professor Kristine Macartney, National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS)
- Associate Professor Kees van Gool, University of Technology Sydney
- Associate Professor Angela Dawson, University of Technology Sydney
The 2015 inaugural Award winners conducted research that had an impact on diverse areas – from being pivotal in having commercial sunbeds banned, to changing the way health workers communicate about vaccination with hesitant parents. Read more about the 2015 Award ceremony and winners.
- Dr Anne Cust, University of Sydney
- Dr Santosh Khanal, NSW Ministry of Health
- Associate Professor Julie Leask, University of Sydney
- Associate Professor Farah Magrabi, Macquarie University.