The 45 and Up Study is Australia’s largest ongoing study of health and ageing, following over 250,000 NSW participants aged 45 and over since 2006.
This world-class health asset is ready and available to Australia’s researchers, and has already been used by over 750 researchers to explore a broad range of health issues including: diabetes, cancer, obesity, mental health, environmental health, and health service access and equity.
Start using the 45 and Up Study:
What the Study offers researchers
- 15 years of longitudinal data from surveys covering broad health and social topics, including participants’ behaviours, experiences, household and demographic situations, carer responsibilities, relationship changes, psychological distress, quality of life and chronic conditions.
- Linked data to join the dots. All Study participants consented to their surveys being linked to routinely collected health administrative data and health registry sources such as pharmaceutical (PBS), Medicare (MBS), hospital, cancer screening, Cancer Registry data and much more.
- Large numbers in diverse cohorts, including people with complex and chronic conditions, Australians living in rural and remote areas, and one of the largest groups of older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of any longitudinal study.
- Ability to develop your own substudies by inviting a subgroup of participants into ethics-approved interventional studies, biospecimen collections and bespoke surveys. Cohorts of interest can be selected to optimise research needs.
- Ever-growing relevant data. In addition to the important core questions included in all surveys, the 45 and Up Study adapts to ensure researchers have the latest cutting-edge data, including new survey data on the impact of COVID-19.
- Biospecimens to explore phenotypes, genotypes, lifestyle factors, disease and treatments.
- Geospatial data to support comparisons between local areas.
- Expert support for knowledge translation planning – so your research can achieve greater impact.
Start using the 45 and Up Study
If you’re interested in using the 45 and Up Study, please complete an EOI to outline your proposal. Alternately, you can email us on 45andUp.firstname.lastname@example.org and the 45 and Up team will get back to you.